Friday, May 23, 2008

5/22: MTVU

I love music and with that also love music videos. Videos are unfortunately becoming increasingly difficult to watch on the telly (which I prefer over a computer monitor), however, and have often found myself frustrated by my lack of video dosing on a rainy quiet day at home. MTV is all reality show, VH1 is all reality shows with celebrities (some people adore this fact and I do not begrudge them), BET is all talking and the same video run over and over. MTV2 now broadcasts shows. VH1Classic often shows rock movies (don't get me wrong, love the rock movies, but I'm looking for videos) and MTV3 is in Spanish (I don't speak Spanish despite 4 years of Spanish class). Fuse started playing "Pants Off Dance Off" non-stop and even On-Demand has had the same videos for at least 4 months (believe me, I've watched them all, even the Spanish language ballad ones).

But I learned today about a new kid on MTV's block: MTVU. It's a station targeted to the college age music fan which, though I've been out of college for several years, still fit right into. A blend of hip hop, indie, soul and rough rock, this channel is just what I've been looking for to cure my video blues. Sure, I have to sit through a commercial after every video, but I can get up to pee or take a nibble of pickle at that time. I may even use those moments to do laundry or crunches.

Thanks MTVU!

No comments: