Sunday, September 7, 2008

7/22: Crazy Comes To Dinner

I have spoken in the past about a relationship that has been extremely tumultuous for me.  We have gone back and forth with one another several times, good and bad, with the same results.

The Einstein definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Yup, that sums this up.

So, after not having much communication, I invited this person to dinner.

For clarification, she/he is very important to me.  We have an amazing connection and have supported one another through several life altering events.  On my end, this has included my father's heart attack, my struggle with sobriety and eventual rehab.

Menu: Salad of Avocado, toasted Walnuts and Goat Cheese w/ a Shallot-Balsamic Vinaigrette, Chilean Sea-Bass on Wilted Spinach, Golden Beet Puree and Roasted Balsamic Grape Tomatoes, Roasted Stone Fruits w/ Toasted Almonds and Cannoli Cream.

Everything started off okay, or at least in the first 15 minutes.  Then, BAM!, crazy ensued.

My cell phone rang, w/ my friend's number blaring at me.  How could she/he be calling me?  Good question, since we were standing in my kitchen talking at the time.  I answered and a voice asked for her/him.  I gave them the phone, knowing who it was, and thought, "fuck, here it goes."

So it turns out the caller threatened to hang him/herself from a tree in my friend's backyard if they didn't leave my house and come home immediately.

Dinner was tough after that.  

Needless to say, the evening was fucking insane.  Dinner exploded into an argument.  I spent the next several hours sitting with this person as they had a complete mental breakdown in my living room.  Then, after everything seemed alright, she/he freaked out and left.

What the hell is that all about?

Moral?  If you let crazy in, don't be surprised if it ends up at your table.  

Man, we didn't even have dessert and I made fucking Sea Bass.

No comments: